About IATC

I AM THE CURE.® is a breast health program from Susan G. Komen® that motivates people to take action steps that may reduce their risk of breast cancer. It speaks to the importance of early detection and healthy living while encouraging everyone to make a lasting "Curemitment" to their breast health. This important mission program takes place at more than 140 Komen Race for the Cure® events worldwide each year.

Breast Self-Awareness Messages

  • Know your risk by learning about your family health history and talking to your health care provider about your own personal risk.
  • Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk. Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk. Have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at age 20, and every year starting at age 40.
  • Know how your breasts look and feel and report any changes to your health care provider right away.
  • Make healthy lifestyle choices that may reduce your risk of breast cancer.

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series

In 1983, Nancy Brinker created and organized the first Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® in Dallas, Texas, with 800 participants. Today, the Komen Race for the Cure series is the largest 5K series in the world. There are more than 140 Races with well over 1.5 million participants each year.

Funds raised at Komen Race for the Cure events help to support community outreach programs in 18,000 communities. Up to 75 percent of the net income from each Race stays in the local community to fund breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment projects. The remaining 25 percent supports the Komen Award and Research Grant Program, funding groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific conferences around the world.

To learn more about Susan G. Komen and breast cancer, or to make a donation, please visit www.komen.org.